I have tried so many different methods over the years to achieve a convincing choir sound with my overdubbed vocal tracks, but for this new ep I’m recording I think i’ve stumbled upon my best method yet….
The method I was using: by setting up a stereo ribbon pair in the sweet spot in my room, and moving incrementally across the room in an arc depending on where I’d want the “section” or particular harmony i was singing to sit in the stereo field.
This however would allow way way too much room noise to accumulate (in my room it is around 200-3550 hz) in all of the individual vocal tracks (sometimes 40-50 tracks) and I’d be forced to eq out the problematic frequencies and therefore killing a good deal of the mojo.
However, for this sample and for all the choral sections of my upcoming EP Emptied Animal, I used a different technique.
I would use a mono ribbon mic at a somewhat close distance for each individual track (limiting room noise on each voice while also not getting too much attack and proximity effect) and then pan and spatialize each voice into sections that would fit the makeup and placement of whatever size choir I am trying to mimic. I then play these stems through full spectral range speakers (I ahve a pair of JBL’s) and capture the playback in my stereo room pair, so I can get just the right amount of reverberation and character out of my room.